The Castle at Vechta – Castrum Vechtense – is a Medieval Open-Air Museum South of Bremen in Northern Germany
The Castle at Vechta belonged to a group of early lowland castles built of wood and erected on small islands surrounded with water and meadows. It was built in the 11th century at a junction on the street between Bremen and Reims (passing Osnabrück, Münster, Duisburg and Köln on the way). This road was also known as part of the road to St. Jacob. In the 12th century a medieval market grew up in front of the castle. To this was added a church (mentioned for the first time in 1221).
From 2012 and until the official opening in the autumn 2013 a group of dedicated archaeologists and historians worked to rebuild the first wooden castle at Vechta.
The association behind this wishes to create a better understanding of European and German history, especially the history of the historical Vechta region. The ambition is to keep a high scholarly standard, while at the same time working with experimental archaeology. It is obvious that the association has wider ambitions, hence the chosen name of the website: www.mittelalter-zentrum.de
The association wishes to reach two target groups:
– Scientists and experts, to whom they aim to offer opportunities to evaluate their theories by experiments.
– Everyone else who is interested in historic re-enactment and experimental archaeology and would like to participate in the work of the association.
The goals of the association are:
– To promote research in as well as active presentations and demonstrations of medieval town and castle life
– To educate people in history, archaeology and folklore of the Middle Ages
– To gather and conserve evidence of medieval history, particularly from the Oldenburger Münsterland region.
Förderverein Mittelalterzentrum Vechta e. V.
Axel Fahl-Dreger · Zeughaus Vechta
Zitadelle 15 · 49377 Vechta
Tel. +49 4441 93090 · Fax +49 4441 93094